Monday 21 April 2014

A whole year on...

This time a year ago I was trying to get my sick little boy to sleep. Little did we know that the next day we would be airlifted to John Hunter & whisked into the ICU, crying at Lucas' beside hoping & praying he would survive...we were told he was being treated for meningococcal disease & only had a 50% chance of survival. I remember everything as if it were yesterday. The pain in his eyes and his painful cries for help...he was unable to move on his own or bear any weight on his little legs. I remember the helplessness I felt, the pain in my heart although so strong paled in comparison next to what he was going through. I would never wish it upon anyone! As you know Lucas was so very lucky to get treatment so early that he survived with only 2 small scars to show for his whole ordeal.

Lucas is the sunshine that brightens my day when things seem so dreary, he is my strength that holds me together when all I do is worry that it all might fall apart. I love him so much and I thank my lucky stars that he is still here with us today, I couldn't imagine our life without him & I hope I never have to know what that would be like..

Meningococcal is a very fast & deadly disease that takes a strong hold, fast. Awareness & early treatment is the key to survival - PLEASE read the signs & symptoms, be aware & share them with your loved ones. Being aware might just save someone's life...hopefully they can be as lucky as our little family xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment